TJ hosts a variety of fun and meaningful traditions–many of them decades old–that help make the TJ experience a special and memorable one. These traditions reflect Spartan Spirit and help to positively define the well-rounded nature of our school, a place where academic achievement is balanced with great memories and a strong sense of community.
Here are just a few of the fun traditions we celebrate.
- Clean Up Day — Parents, students and staff help to spruce up garden beds, mulch, paint and more for a fresh start to a new school year.
- Freshman and Newcomer Welcome BBQ — TJ welcomes all new families each year with a BBQ and opportunities to learn more about sports, clubs and activities at TJ.
- Senior Sleepout — Seniors converge for sunset, movie and sleeping under the stars with the support of organizing parent chaperones on the eve of Freshmen first day.
- Freshmen First Day Welcome — Seniors arrive bright and early for breakfast and to welcome freshmen on their very first day of high school.
- Homecoming — Spirit Week kicks off 5 days of fun with theme days, bonfires, powder puff football, a pep rally and tailgate to the football game, followed by Saturday’s Homecoming Dance. Alumni/parent fanfare includes a separate food truck tailgate and combined alumni/parent fan section at the game.
- Jamaican Jam — Get ready to reggae and bid the warm weather goodbye with an indoor beach party, great eats and fun for all. Prizes for best dressed.
- Art Show / Photography Exhibit — TJ’s art and CCT departments show off our students’ best drawing, painting, ceramics and photography.
- ArtFest — TJ’s gym is transformed for a day into a fabulous holiday market with some of Denver’s finest artists and artisans. There are strolling carolers, great eats, a special KidZone, book sale and more. All proceeds benefit TJ’s classroom / department grant program.
- Challenge Day — A special program just for Juniors thanks to the Challenge Day and Challenge Denver organizations. Students experience a day of team building, ice breakers, and personal development that enable them to forge more authentic connections with themselves and others.
- Winter Dance — A winter version of Homecoming, another Spirit Week kicks off 5 days of big fun in February culminating in a Saturday Winter Dance.
- Mr. TJ — A legendary spoof on beauty pageants, qualifying Senior boys compete for status as Mr. TJ with additional prizes for Mr. Talent and Mr. Congeniality. Senior girls help produce the event. Judges include alumni, staff and students.
- Night Out — An evening of big beats and big hits as the gym is divided in two–one side for some pumped up dance music and the other for some heated volleyball.
- Prom — Seniors celebrate the culmination of four great years together at TJ with an evening dance, announcement of Prom Court, and more.
- After Prom — A fun, free, safe event immediately following Prom. TJ’s gym is transformed by parents with various themes. A super way to make the evening last into the wee morning hours with activities, games and some seriously cool & worthwhile prizes.
- Talent Show and Back Yard BBQ — The end of each year is punctuated with a talent show and day of kickball, volleyball, hamster balls, yearbook signing and tons of BBQ eats.
- Graduation — A time of reflection and looking forward to new life adventures, TJ graduation is an extra special time for Seniors and their families.
Other traditions vary but typically include two outstanding theater performances, choir and band concerts, club programs, ever-important community service opportunities, sports banquets and more.