2016 Movie Premieres
Posted 04/18/2016 by Allison Accola
Check out 10 of the upcoming movies to come out this year.
With a new year comes new and exciting movies; this year, a significant amount of films is coming into theaters, ranging from Disney movies to action-packed thrillers. Many big names and sequels have already been announced, which have several different fan bases jumping with excitement. With breaks and days off from school approaching, many teens will be looking for movies to entertain them, and there are sure to be several blockbusters that will appeal to many students.
- The Jungle Book: The timeless Disney classic animated film The Jungle Book will be brought to life in a new live-action adventure movie, exciting news to any Disney fan at heart. This movie is an action packed epic adventure about Mowgli (Neel Sethi), a child raised in the wild, whose first home was endangered by a fearsome tiger. Mowgli sets out on an adventure not only to find who he is, but to learn more about where he came from. During his adventure, he faces many challenges such as hypnotizing pythons, angry monkeys, and much more. This new Disney classic comes to theaters on April 15th.
- Captain America: Civil War: Captain America: Civil War takes place after political interference crushes down on the Avengers, and new political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability. With this new system, the Avengers are split into two teams, one led by war hero Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) and another by Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), better known as Iron Man. In this dark time, Rogers turns to his old friend Bucky for assistance in what turns out to be an all out battle for control. The movie comes out May 16th.
- X- Men: Apocalypse: Back with another movie, the X-Men series will debut X- Men: Apocalypse in theaters on May 26th. The group is back at it again to defeat another opponent, who places a huge threat to the group – the world’s first mutant, Apocalypse, comes to life, and the team is tasked with taking him down, so viewers should make sure to check it out to catch what happens.
- Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass: Wake up in Wonderland with the new movie, Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass. Alice (Mia Wasikowska) wakes to find herself once again in Wonderland, having to find her way through the new mysterious world. She is tasked with redeeming a magical script in order to stop the evil Lord of Time from turning the clocks forward and turning Wonderland into a dull old world. Watch Alice and her friends go on this journey and defeat evil in theaters starting on May 27th.
- Me Before You: Although action movies are exciting, a little romance never hurt anyone. The movie Me Before You follows main character Lou Clark (Emilia Clarke) as she stumbles upon a new job as a caregiver for a wealthy banker paralyzed in an accident. With his doubtful attitude and her cheerful look on life, they become an unusual pair, and their unlikely love changes their lives forever. Fall in love with this movie on June 3rd.
- Now You See Me: The Second Act: The Four Horsemen are reappearing for another action packed movie. The movie follows the four magicians as they perform their last show in hopes of clearing their name and unveiling the unethical practice of another magician. The man behind their big performance is Walter Mabry (Daniel Radcliffe), a magician who pushed them into the impossible act. They only way out is to perform their unexpected act and unveil the mind behind it. See if the Horsemen can accomplish this act on June 10th.
- Finding Dory: After many long years, the sequel to Finding Nemo arrives in theaters but with a new twist: Finding Dory. One peaceful night, Dory (Ellen DeGeneres) begins sleep swimming and when she awakes she remembers something; she and her friends go on an incredible adventure in search of her family. This heartwarming film will definitely be something that Pixar fans cannot miss. The beloved characters will return to the great blue sea June 17th.
- Ghostbusters: It’s been 30 years since the first Ghostbusters premiered, but the movie is back but with a new change. Director Paul Feig is putting a new twist on the movie with the cast of the main characters as women. Some of the funniest actresses today will be starring in the movie- Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones are just some of the new hilarious characters coming to this movie. These funny ladies are on the hunt to rid New York of the ghost that posses humans, so catch them in action July 15th.
- Moana: There is a new Disney princess coming to life this fall. Princess Moana (Auli’i Cravalho), from the southern Pacific Islands, embarks on a sea voyage to help her family. Using her navigation skills along with a demigod, Maui, she is on the hunt for a fabled island. This new princess will spring into action on the big screen in the movie Moana November 23rd.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: Although Star Wars fans will have to wait until 2017 for Episode VIII, they have something to look forward to in the meantime: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is an alteration to the original movies, providing the same setting, yet a different perspective to the story. This blockbuster thriller focuses on an esteemed scientist who works for the Sith, the group that represents the dark side of the force. This scientist was crucial to the deployment of the death star, but after finding out the dark side’s true intentions, it is a race against the clock to find his daughter and destroy the weapon he helped create. Dive into the exploding new movie December 16th.
What an exciting year of movies it is, and film buffs have barely scratched the surface. With hundreds of titles announced, there will be endless entertainment at the theaters. The movies mentioned are only a few of the spectacular stories foretold that will be coming to theaters. “I can’t wait to see some of these incredible movies that will be coming out this year,” said junior Jovana Bjelanovic. Do not miss out on all of these amazing opportunities; get ready to jump into another great year of movies.