Thomas Jefferson High School Parent Teacher Organization
Meeting Dates: Please click here for the TJ Calendar to check PTO Meeting Dates.
Contact Us: email@example.com
Who are we?
TJ’s PTO is a group of parents, teachers, students and community members who support the schoolwide activities and programs that make TJ the DPS neighborhood high school of choice for Southeast Denver.
High school is a pivotal time for students and families, and one in which lasting memories are made. We invite you to get to know TJ’s PTO and become a part of this increasingly active school community, made stronger by our diverse backgrounds, talents and resources. We understand families are busy, but invite you to network, lend a hand, and make a difference at a time critical to student development. It’s how great high schools (and students!) are created and sustained.
“I always wondered why somebody doesn’t do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.”
What do we do?
We work to increase parental engagement and school spirit. Our goal is to make every student’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering TJ’s families and greater community to advocate for all students. Our support helps the school in a number of important ways:
- Back-to-School Work Day: Annual clean-up event to improve TJHS grounds and facilities.
- Newcomer/Freshman BBQ: This annual event in August helps new students and their families learn about TJ from other parents, students and staff.
- ArtFest: This major fundraiser occurs in the late fall or early winter. Artists, artisans, crafters and vendors share their wares along with a book sale and fun holiday treats and activities.
- Staff Appreciation Lunches: Every other month we treat the TJ staff to a great homemade meal to recognize all their hard work and dedication to our students.
- TJ Tour Guides: Help make a great impression as our school is viewed by prospective families two Tuesdays each month.
- Student Leadership Liaisons: Work with the student leadership team to coordinate events and stronger communication around these events.
- Homecoming: Work with past and current students to make Homecoming a special, memorable annual event.
- Communications, PR and Marketing: Communicate PTO info to staff, families and the greater TJ community.
- Education Events: Help plan, prepare and execute various events to benefit the TJ community.
- CCTM Parent Group: Assist in hosting open houses and other events for the Center for Communication Technology Magnet program.
- Community Partner Program: Help facilitate opportunities for organizations and businesses to engage with and support excellence at TJ.
- Mr. TJ: Support the production of this hilarious, decades-long tradition and spoof on beauty pageantry.
- Backyard BBQ & Sports End-of-Year Celebration: Host an annual BBQ-style picnic event to usher in summer.
- Parent Class Sponsors: Work with Staff Class Sponsors to help each class raise funds for a special and memorable Prom, After-Prom and graduation.
How do I get involved?
Your involvement in any capacity is important and appreciated. We are successful because of your behind-the-scenes contributions, large and small. It all adds up to a stronger community. An engaged parent body is nearly always associated with higher test scores, a stronger school community and more successful students.
Little time or no time? You can still make a difference.
Attend a meeting. Volunteer. Donate. Sign up. It’s easy to find ways to help TJ that also work with your schedule.
- Provide goodies for a staff luncheon.
- Donate your time to support a special event.
- Serve on a committee that suits your time and talents.
- Become a member of the board or simply attend meetings.
- Contribute financially to support our goals and mission.
- Connect the school to important community resources and opportunities.
- Ask your employer if they have a matching fund donation program.
- Get a King Soopers card from PTO and reload it often.
- Select Thomas Jefferson High School Partners on Smile.Amazon.com for your online shopping needs.
- And so on!
2017-2018 PTO Officers
Open positions will be filled in August and September. Please join our first PTO meetings to get involved!
Co-Presidents: Debi Kelley/Spring Hericks
Secretary: Lisa Marlin
Co-Treasurers: Jane Bulger/Keith Priest
Online Auction: Megan Perkins
ArtFest: Kathryn Lepry
Spirit Store: Tommie Evans/Teri Hetzel/Erin Markham/Terri Allsup
Hospitality: Terri Allsup/Leanne Golledge/Eileen Robinson/Leigh Plue
Members-At-Large: Shirli Sensenbrenner/Kary Cramer
Board Member Duties
Class Sponsors (Parents/Staff)
2018: Kary Cramer, Lisa Allen, Colley Moe, Lisa Freedburg, Terri Allsup, Spring Hericks / John Poole, Matt Santambrogio, Erin Thompson
2019: Debi Kelley, Jen Abram, Anne McCord / Eric Perry, Kyler Jackson
2020: Lisa LoJacono, Megan Perkins, Lisa Freedberg, Kathryn Lepry / John Poole
2021: Teri Hetzel/Erin Markham / Staff TBA
Forms and Applications